Data Steward III - Customer Data Products
Company: M&T Bank
Posted on: January 24, 2023
About the Team
Our team is on a mission of unleashing the power of data to support
decision making. Our team builds enduring data products, provides
platforms to access & derive insights from data, enables confidence
in decision making with appropriate data governance, delivers
actionable insights through use of data science and activates value
for the business by innovatively solving problems with data. We
love translating data, insights, and anecdotes into action, we
operate with a sense of urgency, have a startup mentality, build
data analytic products at scale, and innovate solutions on behalf
of our customers. We work hard but value the need for downtime to
unplug and recharge. We embrace our differences and view them as a
key driver of innovation.
About the Role
As a Data Steward, you will be a part of an agile team obsessed
with delivering innovation and tasked with creating a best-in-class
Customer Data Platform. Data Stewards are key team members and
contributors to our customer data development initiatives. As a
Data Steward we will immediately leverage your data knowledge and
consistently expanding your data skill set as we deliver meaningful
results. Data Stewards help the team identify, source, develop and
test customer data that enables our business analytics partners and
sr. management to derive better strategic insights, improve the
customer experience and make a positive impact to our
You will be assigned to an agile development team that will allow
you to develop a deep knowledge of multiple bank applications, bank
systems and business processes. As your knowledge grows, you will
be asked to refine data requirements, identify data sources, map
data, design data objects and enhance the Customer Data Product and
for the purpose of driving incremental business values by informing
As a Data Steward, you will participate in agile sprint planning,
daily stand-ups, backlog refinement, development demos with
business partners and sprint retrospectives. Our team follows a
standard Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and a Data Steward
you will be active in the throughout the development process.
Data Stewards will help to identify and compile data sets using a
variety of tools including SQL or other querying tools. You will be
asked to translate user stories and business requirements into data
requirements and apply your understanding of data flows to profile
and review mapping and design for the Data Engineers / Data
Developers on the team.
Once the developers have completed integrated systems testing, you
will coordinate with our business stakeholders to create and
execute User Acceptance test plans and scripts to test the results
and acquire business stakeholder approvals before deploying to the
* Identify the most accurate data field(s) when domain data is
sourced for internal projects and/or products by querying
databases. Maintain basic knowledge of domain's products and
services, and an understanding of how data supports those
* Maintain accurate metadata and lineage on all domain data using
industry-standard governance platforms.
* Complete user acceptance testing tasks to ensure data product
meets business requirements.
* Translate business data needs into technical specifications with
guidance from more experienced team members.
* Classify data assets to meet regulatory and privacy requirements,
including identifying personally identifiable information (PII) and
payment card information (PCI) data with guidance from more
experienced team members.
* Evaluate, identify, and investigate data issues to ensure quality
of the final data product. Participate in coordinating and
implementing of data issue resolutions with data product teams.
* Participate in creation of data quality rules including rule
definition and verification that rules accommodate domain specific
* Identify the correct data fields(s) to meet business requirements
and monitor adherence to internal data sharing agreements.
* Understand and adhere to the Company's risk and regulatory
standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company's
Risk Appetite. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to
* Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the
M&T Bank brand.
* Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely
implementation of internal and external audit points together with
any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
* Complete other related duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree and 3 years related experience, or in lieu of a
degree, a combined minimum of 7 years higher education and/ or work
experience, including a minimum of 3 years related experience
* Knowledge of relational databases
* Knowledge of the types of issues data can have
* Basic knowledge of data management
* Intermediate skills in SQL for data
* Proficient with data analysis and statistical tools
* 3 years of data industry experience
* Working knowledge of Agile Methodology
* Strong collaboration with agile colleagues
* Business domain knowledge of financial services customer data,
products, systems and workflows
* Understands governance policies and validates that the policies
are implemented as part of their data work activities.
* Intermediate skills in Python for data
* Experience remediating data issues
* Data classification and privacy experience
* Basic knowledge of statistics, data science techniques and
Buffalo, New York, United States of America
Keywords: M&T Bank, Buffalo , Data Steward III - Customer Data Products, Other , Buffalo, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!