Associate Counsel I/II - 014556
Company: Excellus BCBS
Posted on: November 19, 2021
.PLEASE NOTE: With limited exceptions, our company is requiring
all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan. 1, 2022. We
also currently mandate vaccinations for employees who enter our
buildings. Please keep this in mind when applying for positions at
Looking to join our fast-paced and dynamic Legal Department in a
position with a primary focus on litigation support and employment
law? We are seeking an entry to mid-level attorney with 3-7 years
of experience . The successful candidate will partner with internal
stakeholders and senior attorneys in the Legal Department to
provide strategic guidance and decision-making regarding potential
and active litigation. They will work closely with our outside
counsel to reduce risk and limit liability for our
organization.They will also investigate and respond to Division of
Human Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity claims, attorney
demand letters, and single plaintiff litigated claims, in addition
to providing advice and counsel to internal stakeholders on
This position offers a strong team environment, opportunities for
mentoring, growth and professional development, and flexibility in
Key accountabilities of the role include the ability to:
- Analyze, investigate, and draft responses to pre-litigation
employment matters including, but not limited to, agency charges,
attorney demand letters, government agency responses, and
- Supervise and partner with outside counsel to ensure that all
aspects of the company's legal representation are of the highest
quality, including the day-to-day running of matters, overall
strategy, written work, and oral advocacy.
- Identify potential litigation or regulatory risk and counsel
the business to minimize exposure.
- Support the company's strategy for litigation and regulatory
- Provide advice and counsel on a wide range of employment
issues, including, but not limited to, wage and hour issues,
reasonable accommodations and leaves of absence, employee
discipline, and implementation of Company policies and practices in
response to new and existing laws.Under the supervision of Assigned
Management, the Associate Counsel, a key member of the Legal team,
acts to protect the legal interests of Lifetime Healthcare, Inc.
and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and any joint ventures
(collectively, the "Corporations") as part of a collaborative,
dynamic and engaged team of attorneys. The incumbent develops and
implements innovative, flexible, balanced and practical legal and
- Provides stakeholders with practical advice and support on
legal matters in a fast-paced environment. Anticipates client needs
based on understanding of the business and regulatory
- Represents the Corporations for the purpose of protecting the
Corporations' assets, operations, and public image.
- Acting under the supervision of Assigned Management, provides
and coordinates legal services for corporate operations and
activities within assigned legal areas or as directed by Assigned
- Builds collaborative partnerships within the department
(Enterprise Legal and Supplier Solutions) and with internal
clients. Advises management and staff of legal recommendations,
considerations, implications, and alternatives for business
- Conducts thorough legal research of all relevant issues and
investigates all relevant facts regarding legal assignments,
including conferences and interviews with internal clients.
- Delivers professional, concise and easily understandable
communication, providing clear direction and/or recommendations
regarding assigned matters. Proactively communicates with internal
clients from time to time as necessary or appropriate regarding
expectations of the content of the legal work product and
timeframes for completion of work.
- Under the supervision of Assigned Management, may represent the
department in external meetings, negotiations, regulatory
interactions, and proceedings of a legal nature within assigned
legal practice areas and with or on behalf of assigned internal
- Coordinates activities with and monitors the activities of
outside counsel on behalf of the Corporations as appropriate and
works to ensure that outside counsel invoices are reasonable and
compliant with the Corporation's Outside Counsel guidelines. May
assist in the preparation of information and material requested by
- Regularly reviews and keeps abreast of relevant developments in
the law, proposed legislation, and regulations and advises
management and staff regarding the impact of such developments on
business operations. Maintains knowledge related to the job
function by participation or attendance at seminars, workshops and
professional society meetings, review of publications, satisfaction
of CLE obligations, and, as necessary or appropriate, independent
- Performs research and prepares memoranda for senior
- Handles moderately complex legal issues from beginning to end
with oversight from senior attorneys.
- Provides counsel on assigned legal issues.
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure consistency and
compliance with legal obligations and corporate policies and
- Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by
supporting the Lifetime Healthcare Companies' mission and values
and adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct and leading to the
Lifetime Way values and beliefs.
- Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the
corporate privacy policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Performs other functions as assigned by management.
Level II - performs similar functions as Level I, as well as:
- Assists senior lawyers with complex matters.
- Produces work independently for assigned business
- Engages in and may lead implementation of departmental
We include multiple levels of classification differentiated by
demonstrated knowledge, skills, and the ability to manage
increasingly independent and/or complex assignments, broader
responsibility, additional decision making, and in some cases,
becoming a resource to others. In addition to using this
differentiated approach to place new hires, it also provides
guideposts for employee development and promotional
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree and admission to the New York State
- A minimum of two years' experience as a practicing attorney and
gaining experience in the health care industry.
- Demonstrates a strong focus on client services,
professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and diplomacy skills.
Strong influencing skills, as well as excellent collaboration
skills, to engage with high performance teams and colleagues in
different functions and levels within a diverse organization.
- Is capable, engaged, and eager to learn; seeks input and
education from senior attorneys. Works independently to produce
- Ability to adapt flexibly to changing priorities and demanding
- Ability to support multiple complex assignments on a timely
basis with a high degree of accuracy. Must produce superior legal
work products and practical legal advice.
- Strong project and time management skills with the ability to
handle multiple tasks of varied complexity, set priorities, meet
deadlines, and develop process efficiencies where required.
- Ability to work well under pressure. Must be a self-starter,
have self-confidence and persistence, be confident with
decision-making, and be comfortable with fast-paced decisions and
rapidly changing regulatory environments.
- Strong organizational skills, including maintenance of internal
- Detail-oriented, with excellent verbal and written
communication skills. Ability to balance attention to detail with
"big picture" savvy and an understanding of the business issues
involved in the matter at hand.
- Ability to read and interpret complex laws, regulations, court
decisions, reports, and documents and translate complex information
quickly to provide business risk evaluation and recommendations for
- Ability to formulate innovative solutions to mitigate legal
risk in a manner that supports business objectives and
- Ability to work independently and to represent the department
effectively as part of a multi-functional team.
- High degree of ethical standards and professionalism, with the
ability to cultivate and maintain positive professional
relationships with all levels of management, coworkers, and outside
parties engage with the Corporations.
Level II - requires similar qualifications as Level I, as well
- A minimum of five years' experience as a practicing
- Is diligent, trustworthy, and accountable.
- Routinely demonstrates emotional intelligence and interpersonal
- In-house experience preferred. Prior legal experience in the
health care and/or health insurance industry preferred; knowledge
of state and federal law and regulation governing the health care
and/or health insurance industry. experience in litigation,
regulatory compliance (including interaction with regulators),
and/or contract negotiation and preparation preferred. Excellent
research, oral communication, and written communication skills.....
click apply for full job details
Keywords: Excellus BCBS, Buffalo , Associate Counsel I/II - 014556, Legal , Buffalo, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!