Human Resources Manager, Talent Recruitment
Company: Chautauqua Institution
Posted on: September 24, 2022
About the OpportunityThe Human Resources Manager, Talent
Recruitment will develop and manage cross-functional talent
solutions strategies to recruit a diverse and highly seasonal
workforce that encompasses all the skills and experience necessary
to deliver on Chautauqua Institution's long-term vision and to
provide an environment for that talent that positions the
organization as an 'employer of choice' on a national stage. -The
Human Resources Department provides strategic leadership and
cross-functional support for Chautauqua Institution, its subsidiary
the Chautauqua Hotel Company, at our main campus in Western New
York, for a satellite office located in Washington DC, and for a
new distributed workforce central to the 'future of work.' - This
position is based onsite at Chautauqua Institution's Main Campus in
beautiful with the flexibility for hybrid telecommuting to the work
location outside of summer operations.About Your WorkTalent
- Manage the cross-cutting strategic imperative of talent
recruitment for Chautauqua Institution, its subsidiary the
Chautauqua Hotel Company, at our main campus in Western New York,
for a satellite office located in Washington DC, and for a new
distributed workforce central to the 'future of work.'
- Design the recruitment experience, as aligned with organization
culture/values with a goal of a consumer-grade, seamless,
connected, and intuitive digital experience.
- Establish recruitment strategies and hiring goals that align
with organization-wide and department-specific objectives, design
and implement recruitment plans, carry out recruitment activities,
measure results, and evaluate recruitment efforts to determine
success as aligned with organization budget.
- Innovate recruitment initiatives to attract a diverse and
qualified talent pool for a broad range of opportunities from
'first job' to 'experienced executive' for a prism of operating
departments across multiple industry sectors in the arts,
education, hospitality, recreation, religion, and
- Partner with marketing on an employer branding strategy that
generates excitement, engages candidates, compliments
products/services, compels candidates to apply, and aligns with
culture. Continue this cooperation with marketing through the
development of recruitment content/materials and employment
presence on the Institution's social media platforms, such as
LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Master technology solutions, integrate technology innovations,
and utilize data analytics/metrics as central to the functions of
Chautauqua, Human Resources, and the employee experience. Serve as
a critical member of the implementation team during software
enhancements or transitions.
- Plan for and manage a budget and resources for recruitment
strategies and objectives.Talent Management Team
- Manage recruitment strategies and initiatives for a seasonal
recruitment process with deeply shared responsibilities within the
Talent Management Team and Human Resources.
- Educate, train, and mobilize a talent management team comprised
of 50+ hiring managers to guide both career and seasonal
recruitment processes. The Institution employs 175 career employees
on a 'year-round' basis and hires, and rehires, 1,600+ employees
seasonally for summer operations.
- Provide leadership and support presently decentralized
recruitment processes organization-wide.
- Collaborate with talent managers to ensure that recruitment is
aligned with the talent philosophy and employee experience
strategies at Chautauqua.
- Support Talent Management Teams in the publication of
employment opportunities on job boards and guide the flow of
qualified candidates to talent managers with widely variable and
- In conjunction with the Human Resources Manager, Employee
Experience, supports retention strategies for an experienced
- Ensure leadership development, participation, and
accountability for fostering a talent culture.Talent Community
- In lockstep with the Human Resources Manager, Employee
Experience, design and engineer technology-based and data-driven
recruitment experiences our talent, anywhere and everywhere.
- Serve as an energetic and enthusiastic first 'point of contact'
for candidates in the development of talent pipelines, participate
in recruitment/networking events, guide select candidate
pre-screening/panel interviews, and communicate with
candidates/managers regarding opportunities.
- Author compelling, inclusive, and vibrant job descriptions for
all positions, open/close jobs on company and partner websites, and
engage a talent community using recruitment software or other
- Establish standardized interview processes, scoring models, and
supporting training for talent managers hiring for career and
seasonal positions and, with the Senior Vice President of
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA), ensure
uniform language and procedures for IDEA-B.
- Build and foster industry-specific partnerships to develop
diverse talent pipelines regionally/nationally.
- Design a cohesive internship model focused on a student
learning experience, interdepartmental cross-training in support of
summer operations, and the development of a diverse, educated, and
experienced permanent talent pipeline for future employment
- Create an alumni network that fosters connections between
current and former employees alongside community members, partners,
and stakeholders across the nation.
- Host an annual 'job fair' to support seasonal hiring and
internship placement on campus or virtually.
- Create employee surveys, interpret survey data, present results
to leadership and focus groups, and leverage information to
influence the recruitment experience to achieve desired
- Support the Senior Director of Human Resources in workforce and
succession management planning by aligning, and realigning, talent
philosophy and strategies to organizational goals.
- Collaborate with the Senior Human Resources Director on talent
identification criteria based on competencies, behaviors, and
values that support organization culture and deliver on
- Navigate rapid changes in the organization or business
environments by identifying KSAs of existing talent, conducting
environmental scans, analyzing talent pools, identifying gaps, and
developing plans to address the gaps through recruitment,
development/training, and organizational changes.
- Support workforce planning and reskilling of an existing
workforce in digital/future-focused skills.
- Promote talent development through coaching, mentoring, and
training employees with a focus on employee performance aligned to
skills/capabilities to deliver on strategic objectives.About
- A Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management or a closely
related field, or an equivalent combination of education and
experience, is required. -
- Certification through the Society for Human Resources
Management (SHRM) as a Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or the
Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) as a Professional in
Human Resources (PHR), or the ability to complete this
certification or recertify with employer sponsorship, is
- Minimum 5-years of human resources experience with a focus on
talent and recruitment is required. - Candidates with experience in
a multidimensional organization with seasonal and/or high turnover
workforces are strongly preferred. - Recruitment experience in the
arts, hospitality, or education a plus.
- Administration of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) in
the management of the employment lifecycle, specifically for
onboarding and development, is required. - Preference will be given
to candidates with prior administrator or end-user experience with
UKG Pro Software.
- Current work in a team environment that has embraced 'eHR,' or
the transformation of human resources solutions to web-based
technology, and experience leveraging those solutions to manage the
employment lifecycle within a unified software solution. -
- Dedicated use of technology to generate data analytics,
metrics, and reporting to inform decision-making, measure delivery
on strategic objectives/goals, and support workforce management
interventions in response to metrics.Knowledge, Skills, and
- Active listening and speaking to collaborate with and engage
key stakeholders in the design and delivery of a high-value,
integrated, end-to-end employment experience.
- Social perceptivenessand a consultative leadership approach to
direct others toward goals.
- Complex problem-solving and coordination to navigate complex
circumstances, make recommendations, and resolve problems with an
independent judgment that is consistent with the established
culture, ethics, best practice, policy, procedure, regulation, and
federal/state labor laws.
- Knowledge of Human Resources in business management and
strategy, workforce planning and employment, development,
compensation and benefits, employee and labor relations, and
- Psychology and relationship management to identify differences
in ability and performance, learning and motivation, assess
interventions, manage conflicts with employees, and work to connect
with people and redefine employee experiences.
- Education and trainingmethods for curriculum and training
design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and
the measurement of training effects or success.
- Tech-savvy and data-driven for daily use of technology, such as
a Human Resources Information System (HRIS), Learning Management
System (LMS), and MS Office 365, including SharePoint/Teams.
- Analytical aptitude in gathering and analyzing information
while maintaining neutrality.
- Project management skills to navigate short and long-term
projects, full cycle, simultaneously, and against competing
- Communication comprehension and expression to develop and
present content, such as emails, policies, procedures, processes,
training materials, surveys, and to maintain professional
- A lifelong learner who is eager to grow professionally through
educational workshops, publications, networks, organizations, and
conferences.About Chautauqua Institution is a not-for-profit global
convener of dialogue on the most significant issues of the day
through engagement across four pillars of the arts, education,
religion, and recreation. The Chautauqua community is located on
the shores of Chautauqua Lake in southwestern New York State and
comes alive each summer with a unique mix of visual and performing
arts, lectures, interfaith worship/programs, and recreational
activities. - Chautauqua Institution owns and operates , a
comprehensive hotel, food & beverage, conferencing, and events
organization. - The Institution's office in Washington, DC is
located strategically for an ongoing role in the cultural
conversations of the nation. -Total Rewards for Our
TalentChautauqua Institution's competitive compensation and a
benefits suite that includes health insurance with , flexible spend
(or health savings) account options, dental and vision insurance,
complimentary life insurance, wellness incentives, and fitness
options, an employee assistance program, and supplemental life
insurance and long-term disability options. The Institution
supports planning for retirement through a discretionary employer
pension contribution, which has recently been (10%) of gross
compensation following a designated service period.Discovering Your
Chautauqua ExperienceThere are countless ways that our talent will
engage with our mission, vision, and diverse communities, and you
are invited to immerse yourself in our programming as a gateway to
this experience. - Employees will receive a traditional Chautauqua
gate pass, free of cost, which provides access to many of our
programs at the Amphitheater. - In addition to a traditional gate
pass, employees and their families will receive full access to our
current and historical programs online at .Our Commitment to
IDEAChautauqua Institution values Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and
Accessibility in our strategic plan, 150 Forward. - One of our five
core values is "The dignity and contributions of all people." - We
are committed to creating conditions in which everyone feels that
they can engage as full and valued participants in the Chautauqua
experience. - The Institution is an equal opportunity employer
committed to equitable and inclusive hiring practices and
applicants will not be discriminated against based on any status
protected under federal, state, or local law. We especially welcome
applications from those who can demonstrate experience, engagement,
and professional expertise in IDEA. -Joining Our Talent
CommunityJoin our talent community online at . - You are encouraged
to learn more about Chautauqua Institution at CHQ.org and view the
150 Forward Strategic Plan at .ExperienceRequired
- 3 year(s): Dedicated use of technology to generate data
analytics, metrics, and reporting to inform decision-making,
measure delivery on strategic objectives/goals, and support
workforce management interventions in response to metrics.
- 3 year(s): Current work in a team environment that has embraced
'eHR,' or the transformation of human resources solutions to
web-based technology, and experience leveraging those solutions to
manage the employment lifecycle within a unified software solution.
- 5 year(s): Administration of Human Resources Information
Systems (HRIS) in the management of the employment lifecycle,
specifically for onboarding and development, is required. -
Preference will be given to candidates with prior administrator or
end-user experience with UKG Pro Software.
- 5 year(s): Human resources experience with a focus on talent
and recruitment is required. - Candidates with experience in a
multidimensional organization with seasonal and/or high turnover
workforces are strongly preferred. - Recruitment experience in the
arts, hospitality, or education a plus.EducationRequired
- Bachelors or better in Human Resource Administration or related
- Masters or better in Human Resource Administration or related
fieldLicenses & CertificationsRequired
- Human Resources (PHR)Preferred
- Human Resources (SPHR)SkillsPreferred
- Ultimate Kronos Group (UKG)
- Social Media
- Seasonal Workforces
- Result Oriented
- Relationship Building
- Public Speaking
- Project Management
- Personal Accountability
- Problem Solving
- Planning & Organizing
- New Technologies
- Meeting Management
- Legal Compliance/Labor Laws
- Interpersonal Skills
- Human Resources
- Human Resources Information Software (HRIS)
- Goal Achievement
- Events Management
- Expanding Ideas
- End User Support
- Directing Others
- Developing Rapport
- Decision Making
Keywords: Chautauqua Institution, Buffalo , Human Resources Manager, Talent Recruitment, Executive , Fredonia, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!