Chief Financial Officer
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Experience: Executive Management (SVP, VP, Department Head,
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Category: Accounting / Finance / Insurance
Industry: Professional Services / Government & Civil Services
Company: StraussGroup, Inc.
Reference ID: u2bR1d
Date Posted: 12/21/2020
Our client is a leading non-profit organization and is the largest
institutional provider of free legal services of the accused and
incarcerated, representing low-income Western New Yorkers charged
with offenses and cases involving basic human needs like safety,
education, housing, family stability, workers' rights, immigration
and more.-- THE OPPORTUNITY This position reports directly to the
CEO and will have primary responsibility for planning,
implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related
activities of the organization. These will include direct
responsibility for accounting, finance, budgeting, forecasting,
strategic planning, and preparation of reports for the CEO, Board
of Directors, and other senior leaders within the organization.
This person will provide information, primarily financial in
nature, about the organization's activities that will assist the
senior management in making educated economic decisions about the
- Evaluate the existing business model and financial reporting
platforms, and determine if the current way of managing finances
makes the most sense and, if not, suggest to the CEO alternative
ways of delivering quality-focused, efficient, and profitable
financial management to the organization.
- Provide leadership, direction, and motivation to direct
reports, which include Controller, Assistant Controller, Staff
Accountant, and Bookkeeper on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Develop effective working relationships with the management
team, including the key senior leaders, Board of Directors, and the
professional staff to assist in identifying their financial needs
and the full range of solutions.
- Serve as the senior financial spokesperson for the
organization. This includes representing the organization in a wide
variety of venues, both internally and externally, including Board
meetings, local industry functions, professional forums, and other
relevant industry-related functions.
- Establish and maintain appropriate standards of financial
compliance in conformance with written policies and procedures and
local, state, and federal regulations. Ensure that internal
controls are in place to manage compliance with GAAP and applicable
federal, state, and local regulatory laws and rules for financial
and tax reporting.
- Oversee the development of accounting records for all financial
transactions; ensure that records are maintained according to
guidelines established by the IRS and federal and state 501c3
- Oversee the annual budget planning efforts; coordinate this
process through the CEO, Controller, Human Resources leader, and
the head of operations; approve wage and salary administration and
the annual budget.
- Ensure that the finance group provides the senior leadership
team and the Board with timely and accurate analysis of budgets,
cash position, revenue expectations, financial trends, and
- Direct and review all aspects of monthly profit and loss
statements (P & L) for the organization.
- Oversee capital expense management.
- Oversee and make recommendations when necessary on purchasing
and equipment financing.
- Oversee cost reporting.
- Oversee payroll.
- Oversee all billing and accounts receivables.
- Provide a monthly report for the CEO, highlighting salient
information he needs to be aware of.
- Research, review, and assimilate industry and competitive data
to maintain a competitive financial strategy in the marketplace;
report areas of concentration in the organization which should be
included in the organization's annual financial management
- Assist in evaluating the existing financial reporting
technology strategy to make sure that the organization is equipped
with efficiencies that lead or set industry standards for financial
- Protect the integrity of the organization's name and reputation
by ensuring that the company operates in the most ethical manner
possible.--React quickly and professionally when ethics and
integrity are in question.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the CEO and the Board of
Directors. Required Experience
- Ten (10) years minimum experience as a senior financial
executive, preferably of a non-profit human services provider;
government funding and grant writing/management experience highly
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required; CPA and/or MBA
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A comprehensive understanding of the regulatory requirements
that govern the non-profit space. Union experience a plus.
- A proven track record of executing on important financial
decisions at the senior level that have an impact on the entire
organization. Must have a demonstrated ownership and accountability
mindset, and can manage using metrics and other analytical business
tools. Required Professional and Personal Characteristics The Chief
Financial Officer must provide decisive and results-oriented
managerial leadership.--She/he must have experienced the various
nuances of a regulated environment and possess the maturity and
business sense to balance all objectives.--The successful candidate
must be a demonstrated team player who exhibits flexibility and
resourcefulness within a dynamic environment.--In addition, she/he
- A leader with vision of the long-term strategic opportunities
in the marketplace.
- An individual with a strong work ethic and the ability to
accept direct accountability.
- An excellent oral and written communicator with the ability to
effectively communicate with legal and non-legal personnel and at
all levels of the organization.
- An individual with hands-on management style, which is highly
motivational to colleagues and subordinates.
- Organized and able to focus on multiple business issues and
prioritize accordingly. Overall, we are seeking an intelligent,
hard-working, and accomplished financial leader and team player
with the ability to lead in regulated union and government
environment.--In keeping with our client's culture, this individual
must be naturally inclined and personally disciplined to adhere to
the highest ethical standards.
Keywords: MRINetwork, Buffalo , Chief Financial Officer, Executive , Buffalo, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!